Mar 22, 2010

2nd Shift Facility Care Supervisor-Lavon Kil


Lavon Kil has been on the Facility Care team since 2005 and recently accept the position of Supervisor for the 2nd Shift.  Lavon has been married to Bruce for 13 years and she has three boys...Michael, Thomas and Matthew (ages 33 to 19).  Family is a huge part of Lavon's life.  When asked what she likes to do for fun, she responded, "Spend time with my family.  We laugh a LOT when we're together."  Lavon comes from a big family...5 sisters, 1 half-sister and 5 stepbrothers. When you get to know Lavon, you quickly realize that she lives her passion, which in her words is "to love others like Jesus does."

What follows are questions we asked Lavon so you can know her a bit more.

Where have you lived?

Port Huron, Michigan; Furth, Germany; Junction City, Kansas; Clarksville, Tennesee; Grand Rapids, Michigan; Warsaw, Indiana; South Bend, Mishawaka and Granger, Indiana

When did you start coming to GCC?  What brought you here?  What made you stay?

When my youngest started in Oasis '02, he asked me to volunteer.  Then, I went to the Women's Retreat and roomed with Judy Gregory and other volunteers from Oasis.  My son kept asking me to come to church.  After the first service I attend, I felt my spirit was fed and couldn't wait to come back!  I have been here ever since.

If you could drive any car, what would it be?

'66 Mustang Coupe

If you could travel anywhere for pleasure, where would it be?

The mountains in Colorado or Jerusalem

What is your favorite movie?

Polar Express

Do you have a favorite worship song or artist?

Jesus Never Fails - This is also a promise that has sustained me throughout my life.

What is your indulgence?

Buying gifts for my family at Christmas

Do you have a pet?

Yes, a Jack Russell named Jacoby Ellsbury (Jac, for short).

What is the most meaningful gift you have ever received?

When I turned 16, my oldest sister bought me my very own Bible.  I still use this one even though that was over 30 years ago.

Do you have a favorite sport?  Team?

Football and Notre Dame

If you could teach anyone a life lesson, what would it be?

That just because the people in your life (parents, grandparents, foster parents, etc.) are a certain way, it does not mean you have to do and say the same or end up that way (addictions, verbal abuse, physical abuse, etc.).

What is your favorite Bible verse?

"Jesus wept." John 11:35
To picture Him crying makes me think of how much He loves us!